Menu
Basic Joy Test

The Basic Joy Test

By Michael Landsberg

This content contains explicit and sensitive information that may not be suitable for all ages.

The BJT is pass/fail. Take one thing in your life, that on a good day, brings you a little bit of joy, and on a bad day, doesn’t bring you any.

Comments

Sandy Schofield

Problem is Michael I don’t really feel joy in anything. On a few occasions when I go to my youngest daughters to see my Grandson’s one is 8 now the other is 3….when they see me more so it started with the older on Gordon he would run into my arms and jump up and give me a big hug and yes joy would spark. He is older now and he is still always happy to see my but his 3 year old brother Ian is the cutest bundle of joy…born going on forty like his mom and man he jumps up into my arms and sometimes even cries, and puts is little arms around me tight and says I love you so much Granny and he cuddles his head on me shoulder and keeps holding on for a while. Enough time to even have my daughter look and me and say your good right mom…which is a hidden meaning and comment for your feeling the joy right and she just smiles at me while Iet him hang on as long as he would like and I soak in the feeling of Joy that seems to have left me with my disorder….so it is not like that for me because every time we see him he does the same thing and I feel the same Joy, even Michael on a bad day???

Debara

I can not remember what it feels like to feel joy

I am nobody

There isn’t one day that brings me joy. I have a hard time just leaving my apt. My poor 94 yr old mother takes care of alot of my needs. Praise God for her good health.

Cufu

I have very little joy in my life….

Hopeful

It is so difficult to just exist without any joy in life. I am fortunate that medications help lift my depression enough to have good days and feel joy. It is often found in small things and I am grateful to feel it!!

David

Interesting idea. But I wonder if little bits of pleasure can be called joy. Joy is something
incredible you feel in your heart, and only love can really bring it. Without it, life is empty and meaningless. The next time I feel better, I’ll try to think of something that brings a little bit of pleasure into my life and use that for the daily pass/fail.

Doug

I am trying to think of a few things that bring me joy these days and like the people above, I’m having trouble thinking of things. One thing I’ve done before that works, is I’ve made a list of things that have brought me joy in the past, then when I’m really bored, I look at the list and pick something. Problem is, the list does not always come easily. Sometimes it takes a while to think of things. You might even have to go out and try some things to see if they bring you joy (or still bring you joy). That’s what Bucket Lists are for. A list of things you’d like to do, acquire or accomplish before you “kick the bucket”……fun stuff!

Tortoise

What is the next step if you fail the joy test?

John Michael Ray

I feel joy going up on stage and singing. The rest of the time, not so much.

idk

I Feel Joy 🙂

in pain

I have lots of days with joy but I can’t seem to escape the bad days that overtake the good ones. I cannot seem to take the step that could bring me help and I fear that I have very little time left. I am afraid to confide in my family and my social network can’t begin to understand both my childhood and life and how it defined me as an adult. I have wonderful children and my biggest fear is the stain I will make on their life